Monday, November 07, 2016

Paneled Doors and Windows Set

I've always wanted a 9-light paneled door for my game, but there didn't seem to be any available that I could find ("lights" in construction terms refers to window panels).  I was building a TS2 house in the Cotswold Cottage style and it really needed that type of door,  so I decided to make one for myself.  I based the door design on one that I've used in my own home.  Next, I decided I needed another door to match, but without the lights.  From there, everything just snowballed and after 25 new meshes for the set that now included 7 doors, 2 arches, 5 casement windows, an octagonal window, 3 sidelights, 2 colonnades and five shutters all based on construction elements in my own home, I decided I was done.






The set includes 43 objects.  All doors, arches and windows have diagonals and all the windows are available on 1 tile or centered on 2 tiles (with diagonals). The 5 shutters come in left and right versions and are available for windows on 1 tile and centered on 2 tiles.  All objects are texture slaved to the Master 9-light door.  Doors, arches, colonnades, windows and sidelights have 2 recolorable subsets...the inside and the outside, and the shutters have 1 recolorable subset.  I've included 12 recolors of the Master Door in Maxis wood tones.  I've also included a recoloring template in  .psp format to make it easier for recolorers since the shadows and highlights are essential for quality recolors.  I've mapped the doors and windows so recolors can be made such that the door and door frame display with different textures.  The download includes 7 recolors that demonstrate this.

The Doors:




Since the pocket door slides into the wall be sure there is a wall beside it for the door to slide into. :)


The Arches and Colonnades




The 2 colonnades will snap onto the sides of both arches.  To position them on the left or right side, with the colonnade selected, slide the mouse forward or backward to "flip" the colonnade from "inside" to "outside" versions.  The shelf has one decorative slot.  The colonnades were cloned from a window, but I re categorized them to appear in the catalog under Build/Arches to make them easier to find.  Here's a snapshot to illustrate the colonnade's use:






The Windows, Sidelights and Shutters:




The 2 narrow sidelights will snap onto the sides of all the doors and arches.  To position them on the left or right side, with the sidelight selected, slide the mouse foreward or backward to "flip" the sidelight from "inside" to "outside" versions.  The larger sidelight is a full tile wide so there is no need to "flip" it with the mouse to position it.  All sidelights appear in the catalog under Build/Windows.


The shutters have both left and right versions and are also available for windows centered on 2 tiles.  They are place-able without the need of cheats.  Although the shutters were cloned from a wall hanging, they've been re-categorized to appear in the catalog under Build/Windows to make them easier to find.

All the Screenshot were taken in the TS2 house that I designed this set for:




The 1-tile doors were cloned from a Seasons EP door, the French doors were cloned from a Pets EP door.  Everything else was cloned from Base Game objects.
Files are compressed.
All meshes and textures by me
Tested in a vanilla game with all expansions plus M&G.

Ray...



28 comments:

  1. They're perfect! Thank you Ray! Missed you so much!!! You made my whole week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see you back! Thank you for great building set and the art deco mailbox, can not wait to use them in my game. Have a nice day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Toni said these are just perfect-so beautiful!! Thank you so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so nice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this set looks anything like it does in your pics (which I'm sure it does, probably even better).. it will definitely become my new favorite. And Maxis woods? Thank you! And thank you especially for the left and right shutters. I've other shutters that I can't use because they're not single. (I could do invisible recolors for each side but nah, I'd rather complain obviously.) Thanks again, Ray. Awesome set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely set. Stone Cottage looks so quaint and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to tell you that you can add deco slots to a window - I've done it, unreleased/unfinished set but I have done it, lol. If you'd like me to send you one of the files so you can see how I did it, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, glad you like the set. About adding slots to windows...I tried twice and although the slot appeared in the CRES, it didn't work in the game. No crashing or errors, it just seemed to not exist. I'd appreciate if you'd email me one of your files (use the contact form at the top right side of the front page). Thanks,

      Ray...

      Delete
  8. Never fails. You start with one object and end up making a set. Love the set. Can't wait to add it to my modern country side town.... once I figure out what is causing my game to crash during build mode!

    Looks amazing. Thank you for creating and sharing this work of art with the rest of us! So -very good- to see you are "tinkering".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colonnade that you added!.... Love the whole set.... I'm sure that everyone agrees that you are a genius! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm overwhelmed with the response I've received. You're all very kind.

    Ray...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for creating this set. I hope it can be done in shastakiss pirate woods and iCad's wood colors. I'll have to request on GOS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely set! I especially love the colonnades. Thanks, Ray!

    LisaC-H

    ReplyDelete
  13. you've done it again Ray...really beautiful set!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Thanks! Glad to see you back again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea and fabulous work!! Thank you sooo much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, this set is beyond gorgeous. I have had a terrible week and this actually got me excited and happy to open my game to get my mind off things. Thank you so much for your hard work and for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this wonderful set and I'm so glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, Thank You Ray for your fine artwork. If your cottage lot is not available for download, would you please lead us to the creators of the roof texture and stone walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roof texture is a recolor of a Maxis Tile Roof by Komosims titled "Costa Rica Roof. The site has been long closed and I haven't been able to find it at any of the sites that archive old TS2 files.

      The exterior stone wall is called OldCottageWall and is part of a set by Nengi65. Again, the site has been closed, but the set is available at The Sims Graveyard under the title "Nengi65_OldBrickStoneWallsForYourCottages".

      The interior stone walls with wood wainscot are my own creation...a combination of Nengi's Cottage Wall and Wood for Sim's Big Barn Wall. It is currently unreleased.

      Delete
    2. "Thank You" for your response, Ray. Now, there is a good explanation for why I cannot find that roof texture. Komosims had some awesome floors and walls, I am not surprised that it is theirs. An Idea for future work: Tile Roof Textures for Medieval and Rural Roofs. This collection could include the Komosims roof along with some variations. In general, most medieval roofs that I can find seem "overdone" to me and the Komosims roof seems perfect. This collection of roofs would probably make the PBK site visitors love you even more.

      Delete
  19. Ray, I love this set as I have loved all of your sets I've found here and there on the net. Did you delete that cottage? It's so lovely, and it would fit perfectly in game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't delete the cottage. It's my favorite lot in my hood. It's chock full of CC (although most of them are my own creations), so I'm afraid sharing it would be unwise and I don't really have the time to "clean it up" to get rid of all the extraneous recolors that are included when a lot is packaged. Sorry

      Ray...

      Delete
  20. This is spectacular and so well conceived and executed! I love how complete it is, Ray. Thank you for making this wonderful set available to us mere mortals. It shall be among my most cherished Sim Building tools! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! Is there any way to download that beautiful stone cottage? Celticlass

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete