Thursday, March 03, 2016

Mother Nature's Golden Scepter...








Solidago, commonly called Goldenrod, is a genus of about 100 species of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae.  Most are herbaceous perennial species found in the meadows and pastures, along roads, ditches and waste areas in North America. There are also a few species native to Mexico, South America, and Eurasia.  Some American species have also been introduced into Europe and other parts of the world. 

Goldenrod is often unfairly blamed for causing hay fever in humans. The pollen causing these allergy problems is mainly produced by Ragweed, blooming at the same time as the Goldenrod, but is wind-pollinated. Goldenrod pollen is too heavy and sticky to be blown far from the flowers, and is thus mainly pollinated by insects. 

Parts of some Goldenrod can be edible when cooked.  It can also be used for decoration and making tea. It is, in some places, held as a sign of good luck or good fortune.  It is considered a weed by many in North America but it is prized as garden plants in Europe, where British gardeners adopted Goldenrod long before Americans did as garden subjects. It only began to gain some acceptance in American gardening (other than wildflower gardening) during the 1980s.

The Goldenrod is Seasons compatible and will change with the seasons.  The seasonal changes only work if the Seasons EP is installed. It can also be used without Seasons, but only the summer state will appear. 





Faces: 3909
Appears in the catalog under Gardening/Flowers for 15 Simoleons
Will not block the Sim's path
Does not require watering or weeding.


Mesh by me created in Milkshape.  Textures by me created in PSP.

Ray :) 


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers. I love it. Thank you, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Thank you! Blessings, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ray! Thanks for mentioning that Goldenrod gets blamed for Ragweed! I have to explain that very thing to at least one person every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always research the plants that I make for TS2 and I was surprised that Goldenrod wasn't the culprit, but was taking the blame for Ragweed causing sneezing and other allergic reactions. BTW, I have a seasonal Ragweed that I'll be uploading soon (it wont's make your Sims sneeze). It's not a particularly pretty plant, but I like to have a good selection of "weeds" in my Sims's gardens too. :)

      Delete
    2. I would, in fact, love a version of ragweed that would make some sims sneeze, but that's up to you, certainly. :-) Makes me sneeze!

      Lisa

      Delete
    3. Wondering if lily-of-the-valley is among them. It has always held a special place in my heart. I grew up in a big city and we had a small lawn out front. Right up against the tiny patio was a small patch of these lilies. As a young child, I would lie on my tum and smell them. Never picked them, just touched them gently and inhale their sweet scent.

      I have found a couple for my game along the way, but they are not seasonal. Part of what makes all of these beautiful flowers so precious is the bittersweet brevity of their lives.

      Thanks for sharing all of these beauties, Ray.

      Delete
    4. Whoops - my last message was meant to go to the bottom of the page, not here. I know lilies are not weeds!

      Lisa

      Delete
    5. Hi Lisa,

      I'm not sure there's a sneezing animation in TS2 that I could make for Ragweed. If you know of one, let me know and I'll make a version that causes sneezing.

      Delete
    6. I haven't done seasonal Lilly-of-the-Valley, but I too love those sweet-smelling little flowers. My mother had a patch of them and I used to love sniffing them as a child. I'll put them on my to-do list. :)

      Delete
    7. Thanks so much, Ray! I will look forward to the lily-of-the-valley.

      I thought there was a sneezing animation in the game, which made some sims sneeze in the springtime. I will look into it.

      Thanks again!

      Lisa

      Delete
    8. Ray, the sneezing animation came with Seasons. I just found it mentioned in the Wikia, here:

      http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2:_Seasons

      Just search for "sneezing."

      As always, thanks for everything!


      Lisa

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Ray! I like your love/ interest for plants and have many of yours in my game. Here in Europe, we have like three kinds of Solidago. The indigenious one (Solidago virgaurea) slowly gets superseded by Solidago canadensis and Solidago gigantea (both once brought from North America). As far as I know, none of them cause hay fever, but are one of the best remedies (herbal tea) for kidney disease, bladder infection, wound healing and gout. It can also be used for dying wool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy flowers..... I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your seasonal plants, I look forward to the ragweed (and any other ones that you may have to upload!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have LOTS more seasonal plants to share. I've taken all the pre-Seasons EP plants from various creators that I love and made them seasonal. Every plant and tree in my game is seasonal now. I must have over 100 seasonal plants. :)

      Delete
  7. The goldenrod is beautiful, and the ragweed is going to be so much fun! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete