Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Heaven Scent

Seasonal and Non-Seasonal Lilac

 

 

Syringa (Lilac) is a genus of about 20–25 species of flowering woody plants in the olive family native to woodland and scrub from southeastern Europe to eastern Asia, and widely and commonly cultivated in temperate areas elsewhere. The English common name "lilac" is from the French lilac ("shrub of genus Syringa with mauve flowers").

Lilacs are small trees, ranging in size from 6 ft to 32 ft tall, with stems up to 8 to 12 in diameter. The leaves are heart-shaped to broad in most species. Flowers are produced in Spring. The usual flower color is a shade of purple (often a light purple or lilac), but white, pale yellow and pink, and even a dark burgundy color are also found. The flowers grow in large panicles, and in several species have a strong fragrance.

Lilac wood has traditionally been used for engraving, musical instruments, knife handles etc.  In Greece, Lebanon, and Cyprus, the lilac is strongly associated with Easter time because it flowers around that time; it is consequently called paschalia.

Some interesting lilac facts:
  • Lilacs only flower for about three weeks in the spring.
  • Thomas Jefferson loved lilacs — and wrote about them in his gardening book.
  • Some varieties of lilac bushes can survive temperatures down to -60°F.
  • Want a big lilac bush? Prune them less often. (But make sure to trim them at least once a year!)
  • There are more than 1,000 varieties of lilac bushes and trees.
  • Lilacs belong to the olive family, Oleaceae.
  • The flowers are edible. (And great in cocktails).
  • In the language of flowers, purple lilacs are the symbol of first love.
  • The New Hampshire state flower is the lilac. Live Free or Die indeed.
  • Want to stop and smell the flowers? Purple lilacs are most fragrant on a sunny, warm day.

The lilac is one of my favorite flowering bushes and I have several in my garden. The flower's scent is so intoxicating, I love to just sit and sniff. I'm sure heaven must smell like lilacs.

The seasonal lilac bush correctly changes with the seasons and drops leaves in the fall.  The changing-of-leaves only works if Seasons is installed. It can also be used without Seasons, but only the summer state will appear.  The Seasons version includes 2 flower recolors: white and purple.




Because lilacs are Spring-blooming, those without the Seasons EP would only see the non-blooming Summer state in their game, so I made a Base Game version with seasonal recolors.

The Base Game version includes five recolors:

2 more spring textures...one with white flowers and one with purple flowers
A summer recolor...full green leaves, no flowers
A fall recolor...full yellowish leaves, no flowers
A winter recolor...bare branches.

Faces: 2256 on 4 tiles (564 faces per tile)
Appears in the catalog under Garden Center/Shrubs for 50 Simoleons.
Base game compatible, compressed. Tested in a vanilla hood with all expansions plus M&G.

Mesh by me created in Milkshape.  Textures by me created in PSP.

IMPORTANT!  Since the two versions share the same GUID, you may only have one version of the lilac in your game.  Install only one... the Seasons or Base Game version. 

Ray :) 




12 comments:

  1. I love lilacs and now my simmies can enjoy them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - I hit preview and the post disappeared...I'm not sure if it went somewhere or simply vanished. Anyhow, I said something like:

    I love these lilacs. Like real lilacs, these are one of my favorites. There's hardly a lot in my game without these.

    By the way, it was very kind of you to make a base game version too, so others can also enjoy.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so beautiful, wonderful job, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like everyone's favorite downloads is the seasonal flowers. Guess I'll have to share some more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! sims are enjoying all your seasonal plants. I really hope you will share more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully done, Ray! Maxis gave us so few small trees (well that look good anyway) yours are always welcome. Thanks again for continuing to create for Sims 2. Greywolf3 at PBK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm presently working on a seasonal Forsythia that is a bush about the size of a small tree. I'll be uploading that soon. :)

      Delete
  7. I love your lilacs! They are my favorite Spring flower.
    Thank You, Ray.... Lisa (Red Sonja)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in the SW US where it's too hot for lilacs. When I was 18 I moved up to northern Maine, and one spring day I walked outside and was almost overwhelmed by the most heavenly fragrance I'd ever smelled. The lilacs and hyacinths had bloomed, and the street had exploded in white and every shade of purple. Those few weeks were incredible and unforgettably beautiful. Thank you for recreating that precious memory for my game.

    ReplyDelete