Tuesday, April 21, 2015

TS3-TS2 Dicke Berta Stove Fireplace

When I was creating for Black Pearl Sims, I would often answer requests for members there.  One such request was for a conversion of Plasticbox's TS3 "Dicke Berta" Stove-Fireplace for TS2.  So, I went to work on the conversion.  If you're familiar with my work, you know I had to make it a functional, animated fireplace.  If you've spent much time on BPS, you also know that most of the members there are more interested in decorating than actually playing TS2.  Making a decorative object with no animations is relatively easy especially if it's a conversion from another game because you already have the finished mesh and textures needed.  All you have to do is clone a game deco object and it's done.  However, when you animate an object, you have to take the mesh and dissect it and alter it to fit TS2 animations before you can create the finished product.  So, while I was fiddling with the mesh, someone else beat me to the punch and made the conversion into a purely decorative fireplace.  The member who made the original request was perfectly satisfied with the decorative version and although I went ahead and finished my animated version, I never uploaded it thinking it would be redundant.  However, I've changed my mind in that respect so now I offer it here for those of you who may want a functional version.  I don't like my fireplaces generating their own chimneys, so this fireplace won't do that.  However, I do want my fireplaces to have a chimney so I made a separate chimney for this fireplace and added animated smoke to it.  I also made a chimney section that you could use as a interim section on floors between the fireplace's attached chimney and the rooftop chimney.  Both chimney pieces are slaved to the fireplace. 





All credit for the original mesh goes to Plasticbox at MTS and his/her liberal policy on converting his/her TS3 meshes to TS2.  I had to alter the mesh somewhat so that the parts would align with TS2 animations but it still looks very similar to the original TS3 fireplace.   I'm not quite sure why Plasticbox chose the name for the stove since "Dicke Berta" (translation "Big Bertha") is the name of a type of super-heavy mortar developed by the armaments manufacturer Krupp in Germany on the eve of World War I and the stove is neither big nor does it resemble a howitzer in any way.  Regardless, I kept the name.  So on to the statistics for the "Big Bertha" stove-fireplace.

Mesh Statistics:


  • Fireplace Faces: 1115
  • Located in the Catalog under Appliances/Miscellaneous for 325 Simoleons.
  • Functional and animated.  Has all the interactions of the Maxis fireplaces..."Light Fire", "Poke" and "Warm Self".
  • Recolorable.  Comes with the original creme and three recolors.


  • Animated Chimney Faces:  286
  • Located in the Catalog under Build/Architecture for 75 Simoleons.
  • Texture slaved to the fireplace.


  • Inter-Floor Chimney Faces:  92
  • Located in the Catalog under Build/Architecture for 75 Simoleons.
  • Texture slaved to the fireplace.


Some In-Game Shots (in a vanilla game...ie no CC)

 

 




Tested in a vanilla game with all expansions plus M&G. Base game compatible.  Files are compressed.  As always, if you experience any problems with this object in your game, please don't hesitate to contact me via email or in the comments section.

Ray :)

 

 

3 comments:

  1. This is really nice. I especially love the chimneys! Thank you Ray! Blessings, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Functional is always better than just decorative, thank you very much for your extra effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stove/fireplace is a great addition to my gaming fun. Thank you and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete